Your IT Department

0115 822 0200

Derby grab a Point but it’s defeat for Mansfield and Hinckley

Derby County Ladies gained a point at home to West Bromwich Albion but both Mansfield Town and Hinckley RFC fell to defeats in a disappointing weekend for our sporting partners.

Derby County Ladies F.C.

Derby continued their recent improvement and stretched their unbeaten run to four as they drew 1-1 with WBA at Mickleover. Teenager Karagh Tait whipped in a clever free-kick to equalise after West Brom skipper Sophie Hull had put the Baggies ahead.

In a close fought game the two sides largely canceled each other and chances were few and far between. Andi Bell came closest for the Ewe’s in the first-half but was thwarted by a hand from the WBA goalkeeper which allowed defender Lucy Finch to get back and clear off the line.

Set pieces proved vital in the end as Hull’s volley from a corner was canceled out by Taits 30 yard free kick.

Derby are back in action on Wednesday away to local rivals Leicester City.

Hinckley RFC

Hinckley traveled to Manchester to take on title favorites Sale in confident mood after last weeks hammering of Sheffield Tigers, but the home side were just a little bit better across most areas and were the deserving winners.

Hinckley were without captain Alex Salt, missing due to injury, allowing Joe Glover the opportunity to captain the side. It also saw the return to league squad of former captain Ben Ashfield, for the first time in over 3 years.

The early exchanges were cagey, with the first score not until the 14th minute, when a cross-field kick was collected by Jack Moorhouse for the opening try for the home side.

Hinckley did let this deter them, and two penalties from Joe Wilson meant they were well in touch. However, the killer moment came on half-time when some good build up play from Sale led to a second try in the corner.

Now having to play against the wind and trailing 14-6 the task was always going to be tough. Sale worked hard to control the game with the boot and in the end this created an opportunity for a third try in the closing stages, which left the final score at 21-6.

Mansfield Town F.C.

Alfie Potter missed the game against Colchester with the injury he picked up last week against Notts County and he watched from the sidelines as The Stags missed an opportunity to move into the top six with a disappointing 2-0 defeat.

Despite being on top for much of the first half but found themselves trailing to two quick-fire goals from the hosts.

Midfielder Sean Murray fired Colchester ahead after a cleverly worked first-half set-piece when winger Kyel Reid teed up Murray 20 yards from goal allowing him to fire low past Stags’ ‘keeper Conrad Logan into the bottom left corner. Murray turned provider five minutes later as he floated a cross to the far post where striker Mikael Mandron rose highest to nod home, doubling the hosts’ advantage.

Mansfield had the better of the first half chances, the best of them falling to Will Atkinson whose powerful header went narrowly wide.

The second-half saw Mansfield chase the game, leaving themselves susceptible to the counter-attack. But despite creating a couple of good chances and having a strong penalty appeal turned down The Stags fell to defeat.