Mansfield and Hinckley win; but no joy for Derby against leaders

Danny Rose was the hero again as Manfield successfully negotiated a tricky FA Cup 1st round tie at Shaw Lane AFC whilst Hinckley stretched their unbeaten home run. But Derby Ladies missed opportunities in a home defeat to Middlesborough.

Mansfield Town FC

A quick-fire second-half double from Danny Rose ensured Mansfield Town booked their place in the second round of the Emirates FA Cup with a 3-1 win over South Yorkshire side Shaw Lane AFC.

In front of a season-record crowd for the Evo-Stik side, the teams went into the break level after an intriguing first half. Mansfield started the brighter and opened the scoring in the 33rd minute when defender Krystian Pearce finished into the corner following a well-worked free-kick. Their lead lasted only six minutes, however, as Shaw Lane fought back and equalised in the 39th minute, Lee Bennett slamming home from a few yards out after the Stags failed to clear their lines.

Mansfield were given a brilliant opportunity to retake the lead in the 64th minute when midfielder Jacob Mellis was brought down in the area. Stags were awarded a penalty but Mellis saw his effort denied by Shaw Lane ‘keeper Jon Stewart. Striker Danny Rose then scored a quickfire double, heading Mansfield back in front on 73 minutes before scoring a stunning volley five minutes later to secure the victory.

Rose lives just minutes away from Shaw Lane, and his second of the day and tenth of the season was something special. A cross from the right by MacDonald picked out the Rose on the penalty spot and he twisted his body brilliantly to score an outrageous scissor kick that nestled into the bottom corner.

Hinckley Town RFC

A terrific second-half performance from Hinckley saw them maintain their unbeaten run at Leicester Road against a spirited Macclesfield side.

Macclesfield took the lead from the games first attack and it took 14 minutes for Hinckley to settle and get on the board when Joe Glover went over and Joe Wilson restored parity with the conversion.

The first-half was a real battle of strength, with the sides taking it in turns to drive at each other with very little free-flowing rugby on view. In the 22nd minute, Jamie Skerrit went over to put the home side ahead and Wilson again kicked the conversion for the final score of the first half.

The second-half opened up somewhat and Hinckley’s class started to come to the fore. First Mitch Lamb and then James Martin ran through the Macclesfield defence and the contest seemed over.

However, you can only praise the visitors for their effort and resilience but The Hornets tackled well and took advantage of a tiring opponent to notch up further tries from Martin again and Alex Salt. Wilson completed a 100% record with the conversions to give a comfortable looking final score of 42-7 to the home side.

Derby County Ladies

Despite dominating the first-half against top of the table Middlesborough Derby County Ladies couldn’t get their noses in front and the table toppers showed the Ewe’s how to finish their chances as they scored three goals in 15  second-half minutes to secure the 3-points.

Derby made a strong start with the front three looking sharp early on. Some smart interplay between Andi Bell and Nikki Ledgister almost resulted in the opening goal but Ledgister was denied by Laura Wareham in the Middlesbrough net.

Bell continued to look threatening down the left-hand side in the early stages with Boro’s full-back struggling with her pace and trickery. A lovely piece of skill on the wing saw her find some space in the box and she was unfortunate to see her shot hit the side netting.

The league leaders looked rattled by Derby’s strong start and some poor play by Boro in the midfield lead to Ledgister being released on the right wing. Bell made a strong run into the box but just missed out on Ledgister’s low cross. Wareham almost gifted the Ewe’s a goal as she dropped the ball at Bell’s feet but the keeper’s blushes were spared by a last-ditch block.

Derby were made to regret their profligacy in the second-half as Middlesbrough broke from a Derby corner with Emily Scarr picking up the ball from the halfway line. The Boro forward sprinted to the edge of the box and rounded Sarah Morgan with some excellent footwork before placing the ball into the open goal, giving her side an undeserved lead.

The opening goal seemed to knock the stuffing out of the home side and Boro made sure that the scoreline looked more comfortable with just over ten minutes to go when Jessica Havelock curled in the North-Eastern side’s second of the game.

Moments after Boro had doubled their lead they added a third goal due to a defensive error from the Derby backline. The defence couldn’t deal with a simple cross from Middlesbrough and Morgan failed to collect the loose ball giving Eve Gatens the simple task of tapping the ball into the net.

With nothing to show for their efforts, Derby will need to pick themselves up for next weeks local Derby against Nottingham Forest at Mickleover.